The South Louisiana Economic Council (SLEC) is a 501 (3)(c) not for profit economic development agency established to support regional economic development in the parishes of Assumption, Lafourche, St. Mary, and Terrebonne, an area referred to as the Bayou Region. SLEC is one of eight regional economic organizations officially designated as strategic partners in the implementation of the economic development policies and programs of Louisiana Economic Development.
Formed in 1983, SLEC programs have evolved as the economic needs of the region have evolved but typically include:
- business recruitment and retention
- support to startup companies and entrepreneurs
- provision of key data and economic statistics
- provision of comprehensive buildings and sites information
- support to local and parish economic development
- coalition building across parishes and organizations
- special projects leadership including workforce development, post hurricane recovery, small business support and homeland security
- sponsorship of community and industry development training.